Friday, June 17, 2011

The Last of the Journey

The ferry from Ireland to Pembroke in Wales took four hours, but we found a nice sunny lounge at the stern and read for a good bit of the trip. From Pembroke we went to Cardiff. Most of our tour mates went to tour Cardiff Castle, but we ruled it out as being too expensive given how little of it I was likely to see. We did some sight seeing and had afternoon tea at Truffles Tea Room, which I could not resist since it has the same name as my cat, Truffle. The scones with clotted cream were an inducement, too.


Market in Cardiff


That night we had our farewell dinner at the hotel, and the next day we set off for London via Bath, Salisbury, and Stonehenge.

Houses in Bath

Roman Museum in Bath


Roman Museum in Bath



Salisbury cathdral
World's Oldest Working Clock

We were allowed to take pictures inside Salisbury Cathedral, unlike at Westminster Abbey and St. Paul's Cathedral. While at the cathedral, we also saw one of the four original copies of the Magna Carta, but we were not allowed to take pictures of that. I also finally learned what a "cathedral close" is. 

Our last stop before London was Stonehenge. I was surprised not to be as impressed with it as I expected to be. I'm glad to have seen it, but I expected to have more of what Neal's high school history teacher called "that ooh ee ooh feeling" about it. Neal tells me that there are small group tours that can take you among the stones and that close up, when you can really see how huge they are, they are more impressive. I wasn't unimpressed, or even disappointed, just surprised.


Stonehenge


When we got back to London, we had one more dinner with Neal (at a Persian restaurant) before our plane left the next day. 

As of my last trip to Dr. S, I got the happy news that my foot is healing. Apparently, despite all the stupid things I had been doing before I learned that it was broken (a certain ten block walk along the levee, in sandals, to take pictures of the flood waters comes to mind), it had been healing even before I got treatment for it. I now have a rental wheelchair at home, which is a good thing, because we have another trip planned, this time to hubby's sister's house. When he asked Dr. S if this trip would be okay, Dr. S asked, "Does she live on this continent?"

I decided to hold off on telling him about our plans to see Australia. After all, by that time, my foot should be back to normal.

Part 1 is here.

Part 2 is here.





No comments:

Post a Comment